Friday, April 29, 2011

Heading back down

This morning was freezing! All 4 of us were waiting for someone else to make the first move and get the day going, the temp was near freezing and the wind was blowing, I decided to get the ball rolling and started a cup of coffee. Soon Keith appeared, then Rob and Dennis. There was a low fog over the area, hiding the world around us under a blanket of silky white. The odd thing is that the wind was blowing but the fog stayed put. We quickly packed up and started the long trip back down the Dalton. Keith and I had to make it to Delta Junction by the end of the day to keep on schedule. We are going to visit friends in the Anchorage area for the weekend and didn't want to roll in too late. We are going to take the long way round to anchorage via the Denali Highway, a state road through the Denali Nat. forest. We will get up close with Mt. McKinley and absorb the beautiful scenery it has to behold before we continue down south to the warmth of the lower 48.
I climbed into my tent without my cords to download my pictures, and I'm really not going to get back out and get it. I have a few I will post with my iPhone which you should have already seen. The rest will come tomorrow,

The trip down was long and tiring. We drove over 600 miles, nearly 500 was dirt. The concentration needed to travel on loose gravel really wears on the body. Or hands, shoulders, ands back are sore and my butt did a lot of clenching around some of the turns with loose rocks. All said and done....we made it here safe!

We found a dry river bed where we set up camp. Now for some quick sleep....another 400 miler tomorrow. Then a couple days rest!









- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment