Thursday, May 12, 2011

Across the divide

I had trouble with one of my cameras and the photos were too large to upload. These pictures are poor quality, but hopefully it will give you an idea until I can upload the good images to picasa.


This morning is my last leg until I meet up with Keith. Since I was so near Beartooth Pass I decided to give that a ride. This area is beautiful and this ride was hands down the best ride I have ever been on.....to this point.
The pictures I took I deem "useless" because a photo just can't show what I saw. The vast mountainous region I was in spread on for mile after mile.

I awoke to the sound of birds chirping and squirrels running. I stoked the fire which quickly came back to life. It was cool this morning, probably around 60 degrees.

I headed up the pass. There were few cars on the road, and I had the place to myself for quite a while. As I got further up, the snowcapped peaks started multiplying and soon I was at the top of the near 12,000 foot pass looking for hundreds of miles in every direction





Near the top, I passed a handful of skiers preparing to ski down, and ride a lift back to the top. It didn't look like a normal ski resort, it just had a small parking area.




I was amazed how much snow there was up there. I passed areas in the road where the snow was over 30 feet high.





It's hard to see in the above picture, but the top of the snowbank is where you see blue.










I was following another motorcycle, and at a construction stop I a pulled up next to him. We chatted about how nice the area was and where we were going. When I told him I was headed through Missoula, he said "you know the road is closed ahead right"......... No I did NOT! It got washed out last week. Well, time to turn around and head back. I had only done 33 miles at this point, so I got to enjoy the pass all over again.




Ironically we are traveling to the "Top of the World" in Alaska.





I jumped on the interstate and booked on towards coeur D' Alane. (referred to as CDA from now on).
I arrived at my cousin's at around 6 pm. Their dog cautiously came up to me sniffing intently as if he was questioning my personal hygiene!
Yes my butt does hurt, and it was nice being off the bike for a little while.

Keith got a late start and rolled in after dark. Tomorrow we will make a quick trip to the camping store for a few things and head up to the border!


This trip is really beginning NOW! I'm pretty excited!
Location:Red Lodge, MT

No comments:

Post a Comment