Wednesday, May 11, 2011

North to Alaska

This morning had a slow start. Neither of us seemed to get in the groove. Finally at 10am we hit the road.















The weather was sunny and we dressed for a great beautiful day. An hour later the clouds rolled in and the temp dropped from a comfortable mid sixties to lower forties. Rain started from a slow sprinkle to a steady pour. It didn't last all day but came and went at will.





At the first gas stop, we did a much needed cleaning of our windshields....





As I was thinking how much my butt hurt, I passed this guy...And was thankful that just my butt hurt.










As we entered the Banff National Forest, the views got spectacular. Pictures and words cannot portray the magnitude of the Canadian Rockies. Reaching upwards of 3900 meters they extend as far as the eye can see.
30 minutes after we entered the park we saw our first bear.










Shortly after we spotted some mountain goats










It's pretty cool to see all these animals wondering around without fear of the human. They don't give you much thought as they eat right by the road.





The lakes are filled with a turquoise water. The low fog makes it look like a painting.










We reached Jasper Alberta where we downed a sandwich and kicked backup for a few minutes. I thought there'd be more internet access, but it's really hard to find. I turned on my phone and called my beautiful wife to let her know everything was well.









Then on towards Prince George.




As we crossed the Rockies it started raining...then sleeting...then snowing. On went the electric jacket.

About mid day we passed by this glacier. They were giving tours which went up to the top but we wanted to pores on, so we settled with a few pictures









So far both bikes are running very well. I developed a small oil leak that appeared to be coming from the oil filler area. I stopped at a motorcycle repair shop and asked if they had an O-ring that I could replace the worn one. They had the tight size and I fixed it in the parking lot. It worked perfectly.

We arrived at the campground near Prince George and drove around looking for a space. The whole thing was full. Sadly we turned around and headed back out of the park. As we passed the headquarters I turned in and gave one last effort to stay put. The ranger lady said we could camp down by the lake if we wanted to, but would not be able to have a fire. great!














Keith pretty much went right to bed, I had some oat meal and hot chocolate, and currently am typing away.
We did 500 miles today bring my total mileage to 3400 miles.

Tomorrow we plan on reaching Hyder AK for a quick stop and then on to Deese Lake.
We are going to slow the pace down a little so we can take in all the views.

3 comments:

  1. What a cool trip! The kids and I are enjoying your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this with us. And the pictures were wonderful to see. I'm still debating if I should go with bike or SUV. My bike is only a Kawasaki 900, and just may be to much of a trip for it. Not certain how I will take camping out every day, being 58, I'm use to a bed. I wish I went 20 years ago though!

    ReplyDelete